Translate

Thursday, July 19, 2018

DIY No-Cost Bicycle Cart For the Disabled/Elderly

It's my third year of being a live-in caretaker for my now 90-year-old mom.  Again, though I manage her finances and haven't lived totally moneyless through this interim (I use money sparingly and reluctantly), I still love making due with only what is freely given, freely found, and freely created with my own hands. 

This has been my time of deepening my philosophy of a world without money, a gift economy.  But this post is not philosophy, just practicality.  Philosophy is useless if it can't translate into basic practicality.

Here I share with you my latest finished project, costing zero money:

DIY Chair-iot (Bicycle Wheelchair Cart) for the disabled and/or elderly.



Yes, I just finished building this bicycle chariot for my mom yesterday! We went for a sunset test run for several miles and it was a glorious ride! My mom loves it, as you can see! (watch us riding at the end of video)

It's made with all scavenged materials! I pieced it together from 2 wheelchairs I found (one from the hospital dumpster, the other abandoned by the river). I put dumpstered bicycle tires on the rims. The poles and even the bolts are scavenged. And I even found the bicycle abandoned by the road and fixed it up!


10 comments:

  1. That’s some high-level re-use! Super impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a great idea. Quite clever, too. Looks like a beautiful day for a ride. I, too, am caring for my mom. I don't live moneyless but would love to do so. Perhaps, in the future In the meantime, I love reading about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool! A great way to get your mom out in some fresh air and see a change of scenery. Pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daniel, I am on my way to Montana fromIndiana and would like to meet with you. I have been reading your blog formanyyears and am seeking to live a life in the gift economy. If you are open to meeting in the next few days or in the future, please hit me up 21nine 2869nine7zero

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matthew, I've been in Fruita, Colorado the past 3 years caretaking my mom, so if you happen to come by this way we can hook up.

      Delete